What Is It?
Unwanted hair growth, also known as hirsutism, can be defined as growth on areas that makes us uncomfortable. Many individuals like the clean and hygienic look but for others it’s a personal preference. Lot of people don’t like unwanted hair growth as it effects their self esteem.
What Causes It?
Unwanted hair growth can be due to many factors.
- Genetics and ethnicity:- People from Indian subcontinent and middle east are more prone to have huge unwanted hair growth compared to other races.
- Androgens:- Androgens are a group of sex harmones, which stimulates hair growth in pubic and underarm areas.Testosterone is one common example of androgens which stimulates hair growth.
- Ploycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS):- Polycystic ovarian syndrome accounts for three out of every four hirsutism cases. One can have excessive unwanted hair growth, which looks very overwhelming.
- Benign cysts on the ovaries affect hormone production, leading to excess hair growth.
- Adrenal gland disorders such as adrenal tumours or Cushing’s disease may lead to excessive hair growth.
- High cortisols level can also affect the growth cycle.
- Some medications may also stimulate unwanted hair growth.
How can it be treated:-
With a Medical grade FDA approved Candela GentleLase hair removal machine considered by many as the gold standard for laser hair removal.