What are dark circles?
The skin beneath both eyes appearing darkened or taking on a blue-ish tint is called “dark circles”.
What causes dark circles?
Dark circles have multiple causes:
- The thinning of the skin under the eyes makes blood vessels appear more visible
- Puffy and wrinkled eyes absorb and reflect light, forming a dark shadow underneath
- A lack of subcutaneous fat around the eyes can make the skin translucent and saggy
Additionally, dark circles can result from:
- Lack of sleep
- Over-exposure to sunlight
- Smoking / drinking
How to prevent dark circles?
- Avoiding smoking / nicotine and alcohol
- Increasing your water intake
- Consistent use of SPF50+
- Topical serums that contain active ingredients such as Tyrosinase Inhibitors
Treating dark circles:
Various options singularly or in combination include:
- EnLighten Pico Genesis
- Q-switch Nd:YAG 1064 nm fractional laser
- scarLet RF
- Azelaic acid
- Chemical peels
- Topical agents
The FDA approved Pico Genesis procedure targets dark circles/pigmentation under the eyes and increases uniformity in skin tone. Pico Genesis delivers ultrashort pulses delivering a photomechanical shock wave, not thermal energy, shattering the pigment and stimulates remodelling which results in lightening dark circles and pigmentation under the eyes for darker skin types.